1. A Gang is a group of people who hang out together and are involved in criminal activity.
2. Types of criminal activity Gangs are involved in:
● Threatening and Intimidation.
● Fighting and Assault.
● Theft, Burglary, and Robbery.
● Drive by shootings.
3. Many Gangs like to identify themselves by wearing certain clothing, suchas:
● Saggy-baggy shirts and pants.
● One pant leg rolled up.
● Belt buckle or Baseball cap slightly off to the right or left side.
● Certain colors such as black, red, blue, brown, etc..
Students are shown pictures of the following people and are asked to identify them and explain what they do:
- A Clown.
- A Football Player.
- A Nurse.
- A Ballerina.
- A Police Officer.
Students are asked how they were able to identify these people. (by their clothing and what they’re doing) Students are then asked if they would be able to identify these people if they were wearing regular clothes. (No)
2. Who’s to blame if people think you look like a Gang Member? (You are)
Students are taught the following about Stereotyping:
1. Stereotyping is when you classify a person to a certain idea based on what they look like.
2. A typical example of Stereotyping would be: “He’s a Police Officer because he’s wearing a uniform.”
3. Stereotyping is basically harmless unless it’s done to put down, make fun of, or injure someone, then it becomes harmful and wrong.
Students are taught that Stereotyping is what everyone just did to identify the pictures that were shown them, and is a harmless thing we do practically everyday. They are then asked if they know what could happen to them if they dressed and looked like a Gang Member. The following information is explained:
2. The problem isn’t that good people or the Police Stereotype a person or think a person is a Gang
■ They’re the ones that may try to hurt or kill a person.
■ Why would they do that?
■ Because that’s what Gang Members do!
1. Why does a Football player play football? (Because that’s what Football players do)
2. Why does a Dentist fix peoples teeth? (Because that’s what Dentists do)
3. Why does an Apple Farmer grow Apples? (Because that’s what Apple Farmers do)
1. Respect is to show honor, admiration, love, and courtesy to people and things, including yourself.
2. Because Gang Members break the law and hurt people, this shows that they are dishonest and
When it comes to dealing with Gangs, students are taught the following:
1. Report the criminal activity of Gangs. If you don’t, they will continue to hurt people and make
2. Stay away from Gangs and Gang Members. Avoid places where they hang out.
3. If approached by a Gang or Gang Member, leave quickly, don’t hang around or try to talk to them.
4. Don’t join a Gang, it will lead to nothing but trouble and problems.
5. When it comes to Gangs and Gang activity, there is no Path to Excellence.